Thursday, February 24, 2011

Sigh No More

Two nights ago a dear brother went home to be with his Heavenly Father.  Michael Barranco was in a car accident alone on Tuesday evening.  It is a great loss, felt by many in the church and the community.  We have hope though, knowing that Christ died for the ungodly and took away the sting of death.  Michael is now before the face of God.  In the words of Mumford and Sons, he will "sigh no more."  His faith has turned to sight.
I was amazed yesterday at the rallying of the body of Christ in reaction to Michael's homecoming.  I would not expect Facebook to be such a blessing to me, but all day yesterday I continued to be encouraged by my fellow bothers and sisters at Redeemer.  I suppose this goes to show that God can glorify himself even through Facebook.  Praise the Lord!
I would like to share some of the posts and comments from yesterday, that they might encourage us all as we remember Michael.


"‎'I will follow you through green pastures, and sing hallelujah to your name.  I will follow you through dark disaster, and sing hallelujah through the pain.  Even in the shadow of death I will praise You. Even in the valley I will say:  Holy, my God You are worthy of all my praise'  Thank you Michael for reminding us!!"
--Bryant Taylor

"So brokenhearted for the Barrancos. What a comfort to know that the voice that blessed me here on earth is joining my parents, Joan Berry, Joyce Horton, Rebekah Abraham, and so many others who influenced my life in singing praises to our God at this very moment, seeing our Savior face to face! Praying His greatest comfort for their family."
--Christina Dent

"Jackson, MS lost a great man last night, and a dear friend to many. I've known few men who've influenced as many lives as Michael Barranco, and I'm blessed to have called him a friend."
--Jim Skipper

"Very saddened to hear about the loss of Michael Barranco. He left behind reflections of the beauty of Christ in so many places--his architecture, his beautiful voice and his amazing family. I'm glad to have known him, to have experienced his kindness and I look forward to seeing him again one day...sing on, Michael."
--Tim Udouj

"Grieving with the body of Christ at Redeemer Church | Jackson today. Michael Barranco was greatly loved and is greatly missed...."
--Merianne Dietrich

"A dear brother, servant, and friend is using his beautiful voice in heaven now. Thank you Jesus that you are the resurrection and the life. Death has no victory over CHRISTIANS. Praying for the Burranco family...mourning the loss of the man who used his voice for Jesus. It's humbling to me (and providential) that my office and the place where I preach weekly, is in the very building on JSU's campus that he designed."
--Elbert McGowan

"I am remembering my dear brother, Michael Barranco, an amazing man because of his faith in an amazing God. We grieve his loss but not as those without hope. Our grief will put on joy just as his faith has now put on sight. We know that God came on a rescue mission in the flesh of man, in the person of Jesus Christ to rescue all who would trust Him. Jesus has been faithful to Michael. Amen!"
--Steve Lanier


This video was posted by many yesterday in remembering Michael.  I echo Phillip Holmes in saying, "This brother is in heaven praising Jesus! I look forward to joining him again one day. Until then I'll scream 'Maranatha!'"

1 comment:

  1. thanks for posting this ben. i remember him. i used to love when he sang while we were at redeemer.

    oh, how i long for heaven.

    peace brother,

    ReplyDelete