Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Wait. Tim Keller Is Coming To Jackson?

Since beginning to write on here mere days ago, I have been wondering where I will find topics after I run out of books quotes and restaurants to rant on about.  Well, today that wonder was dissolved!
Tim Keller is coming to Jackson on Thursday evening to speak about his new book, King's Cross. (Info regarding the event and book are at the bottom of this post.)  Needless to say, we here in Jackson are honored to be the objects of such a rare privilege.  The timing has worked out perfectly, given that the book was released just today, and Dr. Keller will be here Thursday.  The RTS library had a great price on the book today, so I grabbed my copy on the way to my afternoon Johaninne Literature class with Dr. Waters.  I arrived to class about 30 minutes early so that I could at least get through Keller's intro and maybe first chapter.
As I sat there reading, my fellow students began to trickle in, taking their seats in each of their usual places.  A few of them noticed my book and inquired about it.  I responded by showing it to them and telling them about the Thursday evening lecture and book signing.  One particular student, who shall remain nameless, had quite an interesting response to my plug.  I mentioned Thursday's events and suggested if he was coming he ought to get there a bit early to get in line.  He responded, "Yeah... not worth it."
Let me first say, I am not entirely sure what was meant by his retort.  Perhaps we miscommunicated, or perhaps he is opposed to Keller enough to make that comment.  Regardless, my point here is not to critique his statement, but to use it as a jumping off point:
Tim Keller is speaking this Thursday evening at Belhaven University.  If you live in the Jackson area, you should seriously consider coming.  It will be completely worth it.  Regardless of any of Keller's particular practices at his church, regardless of his personal views on polity, hell, regardless of his perspective on what color tie you should wear this Sunday morning (if at all), Tim Keller understands the Gospel and has a such gift in articulating it that even The New York Times has good things to say about him (buy his new book, you'll see)!
To finish my rant, I would like to quote King's Cross:
"I trust that you will find the figure of Jesus worthy of your attention:  unpredictable yet reliable, gentle yet powerful, authoritative yet humble, human yet divine.  I urge you to seriously consider the significance of his life in your own."  (Keller, xv)

Check out these links for more info on the event and King's Cross:


Keller Event                                  

No comments:

Post a Comment